- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Brazil for cooperation in the fields of Zebu Cattle Genomics and Assisted Reproductive Technologies.
- The MoU will strengthen the existing friendly relations between India and Brazil and promote development of Genomics and Assistant Reproductive Technologies (ARTs) in Cattle through joint activities to be implemented through mutually agreed procedures.
- An implementation committee shall be created with an equal number of representatives of each party for the purpose of regularly determining the activities and developing work plans and subsequently their evaluation.
- It will be done through joint projects in the fields of Productivity Improvement of cattle and buffaloes, for the purpose of broadening the existing knowledge base on sustainable dairy development and institutional strengthening.
- The MoU would promote and facilitate scientific cooperation and setting up of genomic selection programme in Zebu Cattle through (a) application of genomic in Zebu Cattle and their crosses and buffaloes (b) application of assisted reproductive technologies (ARTs) in cattle and buffaloes (c) capacity building in genomic and assisted reproductive technology (d) Related research and development in Genomics and ART in accordance with the respective laws and regulations of the two countries and is covered under Rule 7 (d) (i) of the Second Schedule of the Government of India (Transaction of Business) Rules, 1961.
- The term humped cattle is frequently used as a synonym to zebu cattle. The potential for milk production is poorly developed in most zebu cattle.