- Recently, the government has operationalized the first Mega Food Park (MFP) of Mizoram i.e. Zoram Mega Food Park.
- It is not only expected to benefit the people of Mizoram but also that of adjoining districts in Assam.
Back to Basics
Mega Food Park (MFP) Scheme
- Introduced in 11th Plan to create modern infrastructure.
- Scheme has been conceptualized on an Industrial Park Model and customized to the need of food processing sector.
- Mega food park typically consists of supply chain infrastructure including collection centers, primary processing centers, central processing centers, cold chain and around 25-30 fully developed plots for entrepreneurs to set up food processing units.
- The Mega Food Park project is implemented by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) which is a Body Corporate registered under the Companies Act. State Government, State Government entities and Cooperatives are not required to form a separate SPV for implementation of Mega Food Park project.
- Under the purview of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
19 Mega Food Parks are operational:
1. Srini Mega Food Park, Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh.
2. Godavari Mega Aqua Park, West Godavari, Andhra Pradesh.
3. North East Mega Food Park, Nalbari, Assam.
4. Gujarat Agro Mega Food Park, Surat, Gujarat.
5. Cremica mega Food park, Una, Himachal Pradesh.
6. Integrated Mega Food Park, Tumkur, Karnataka.
7. Indus Mega Food Park, Khargoan, Madhya Pradesh.
8. Avantee Mega Food Park, Dewas, Madhya Pradesh.
9. Paithan Mega Food Park, Aurangabad,