- National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) under Ministry of AYUSH and ICAR-National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR) under Department of Agricultural Research and Education have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on 6th July, 2020.
- The purpose of this MoU to conserve the Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Genetic Resources (MAPGRs) at designated space of ICAR-NBPGR in long-term storage module (as per availability) in the National Gene bank and or at Regional Station for medium term storage module and acquire hands-on training on plant germplasm conservation techniques to the working group of NMPB.
- Both NMPB and ICAR-NBPGR are committed to serve the National interests through conservation of germplasm on long-term basis, safely and cost-effectively for present and future generations to ensure the social and economic security.
- The authorized institute NMPB and the ICAR-NBPGR on behalf of the ICAR would develop detailed modalities for seed storage of MAPGRs and submit periodic progress report to their respective organizations.
- Medicinal Plants are regarded as rich resources of traditional medicines and are being used for thousands of years in the health care system.
- India has rich diversity of medicinal Plants (MPs) resources.
- The natural resources are gradually getting depleted due to various developmental activities in its habitat.
- There is a need to conserve these natural resources and make sustainable utilization of them.
- The conservation of plant genetic resources is an integral part of biodiversity conservation.
- The purpose of conservation is to make sustainable development by protecting and using natural resources in ways that do not diminish the variety of genes and species or destroy important habitats and ecosystems.
Back to Basics
National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources
- National Animal Gene Bank,established at the National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR – Karnal, Haryana), has the objective of conserving the indigenous livestock biodiversity.
- It is one of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- It is a nodal organisation in India for management of Plant Genetic Resources (PGR).
- The NBPGR has linkage with National Active Germplasm Sites (NAGS)for the management of active germplasm of field and horticultural crops.
National Gene Bank
- The bank is hosted by National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR), New Delhi.
- Its purpose is to conserve the Plant Genetic Resources (PGR) for future generations in the form of seeds, genomic resources, pollen etc.
- The NGB has four kinds of facilities, namely, Seed Genebank (- 18°C), Cryogenebank (-170°C to -196°C), In vitro Genebank (25°C), and Field Genebank, to cater to long-term as well as medium-term conservation.
- India’s seed vault is at Chang La (Ladakh) in the Himalayas.