- Recently the Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd, Pune,has been granted permission to manufacture the first indigenously developed Pneumonia Conjugate Vaccine (PCV) i.e. Pneumococcal Polysaccharide.
- This vaccine is used for active immunization against invasive disease and pneumonia caused by “Streptococcus pneumonia” in infants.
- The vaccine is administered in a intramuscular manner.
Back to Basics
- Pneumococcal disease refers to any illness caused by pneumococcal bacteria.
- It is used for active immunization against invasive disease and pneumonia caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae in
- It is administered intramuscularly,e injected deep into the muscles.
- Pneumonia is an acute respiratory infection of the lungs. It doesn’t have one single cause – it can develop from either bacteria, viruses or fungi in the air. Children whose immune systems are immature or weakened – such as by undernourishment, or diseases like HIV – are more vulnerable to pneumonia.