Health experts list the causes of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease beyond smoking, reveal the symptoms and management strategies along with treatment tips.
About Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- While smoking remains the primary culprit in the development of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), its reach extends far beyond the realm of tobacco.
- This insidious lung condition, characterised by breathlessness, cough and excessive mucus production, whispers a tale of environmental toxins, genetic predispositions and occupational hazards.
- While smoking remains the primary risk factor for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), extended exposure to environmental toxins, occupational hazards, and genetic predispositions can also contribute to its onset. Beyond conventional treatments like steroids, bronchodilators, and oxygen therapy, effective COPD management involves a holistic approach.
- This includes addressing comorbidities, adopting lifestyle changes, and enhancing overall quality of life.
- COPD is characterized by respiratory passage constriction and severe airway inflammation, with causes extending beyond smoking to encompass factors such as exposure to chemicals, dust, environmental pollution, and genetic disorders.”
- Adopting a healthy and supportive lifestyle is often essential for those with COPD to adequately manage their illness.
- Quitting smoking is a key component of managing COPD since it greatly aggravates respiratory symptoms and hastens the deterioration of lung function.
- Regular physical activity that is catered to each person’s abilities enhances lung function, endurance, and general well-being.
- Reducing exposure to respiratory irritants at home can be achieved by creating a COPD-friendly environment with adequate ventilation and air quality.
- Social Support and emotional health play a crucial role in enhancing the quality of life for people with COPD.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join