Recently, the Defence Minister inaugurated 27 projects built by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), which included 24 bridges and three roads, most of which are in the border areas.
- The road is in south Ladakh, connecting Chisumle and Demchok. It passes through a pass known as Umling La.
About the Project
- The 52-km road ‘black-top’ tarmac road from Chisumle to Demchok betters the previous record of a road in Bolivia, which connects the volcano Uturuncu.
- It had said that the road connected towns in the Chumar sector of eastern Ladakh, providing a direct route between Chisumle and Demchok from Leh.
- The Army and the Ladakh Hill Development Council (LAHDC) jointly restarted the traditional medicinal hydrotherapy in the immediate vicinity of the hot spring in the said sector.
- Previously called New Demchok, and Parigas by the Chinese, is a village and military encampment in the Indian-administered Demchok sector that is disputed between India and China.
- It is administered as part of the Nyoma tehsil in the Leh district of Ladakh by India, and claimed by China as part of the Tibet Autonomous Region.
- The Line of Actual Control (LAC) passes along the southeast side of the village, along the Charding Nullah (also called Demchok River and Lhari stream) which joins the Indus River near the village.
- During the 1962 Sino-Indian War, the Chinese forces reclaimed the areas southeast of the Lhari stream. The Line of Actual Control resulting from the war runs along the Lhari stream.
- The majority of the inhabitants are Changpa nomadic pastoralist.
- It is at the end of a 5 kilometre-long stony plain at the foot of the Demchok Lhari Karpo peak.
- The Charding Nullah (or Lhari stream) flowing down from Charding La waters the southeast side of Demchok, forming small plots of grazing and farming lands.
- Around the corner of the peak is a hot spring, whose water is believed to have medicinal qualities.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join