- Japanese scientists have said that silicon is likely to be the mystery element in the inner core of the earth.
- This could solve one of the biggest secrets of the planet.
Consensus has long been that centre of the planet comprises:
- Sulphur, Oxygen and Silicon-5%
- But Japanese scientists have found that iron nickel alloys mixed with silicon were able to sustain pressure and temperature found in the inner core of the earth.
- Data for the mixed material observed with X-rays matched seismic data namely sound velocity, or seismic waves obtained for the inner core.
- Finding could reveal if earth was rich in oxygen before photosynthesis.
- Oxygen has been listed as another potential candidate for mystery element in the inner core.
About the Layers of the Earth
- Earth is composed of three main layers: outer layer, mantle and core.
- Outer layer is solid where creatures reside.
- Mantle is composed of hot magma and other semi solid materials.
- Core is composed of outer layer of liquid iron and nickel and inner layer – a hot dense ball of mostly iron.