- Recently China will be setting up a Kohala hydropower projectin Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK)under China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
- India has already objected to the construction of the hydropower project..
Details about the Project
- The Kohala hydropower project will be built on the Jhelum river.
- India has opposed the move on the grounds that the entire territory of the Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh are integral and inalienable parts of India.
- Earlier India had also objected to the construction of the Diamer-Bhasha dam in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of the PoK.
China-Pakistan Economic Corridor
- The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is a part of the One Belt One Road (OBOR), intended to improve infrastructure within Pakistan for better trade with China and to further integrate the countries of the region.
OBOR has two main components,
- One Belt – the land-based belt, and
- One Road refers to the ocean going ‘Maritime Silk Road’,which aims to connect the East Asian economic region with the European economic circle and runs across the continents of Asia, Europe and Africa.