- Recently, the first population estimation exercise of the Indian gaur carried out in the Nilgiris Forest Division in recent years.
About Indian Gaur
- one of the largest extant bovines.
- native to South and Southeast Asia
- listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List since 1986.
- listed in CITES Appendix I, and is legally protected in all range states.
- extinct in Sri Lanka and probably also in Bangladesh.
- one of the largest species among the wild cattle.
- Gaur historically occurred throughout mainland South and Southeast Asia.