- The Union Cabinet has given its approval to grant Special Remission to Prisoners as part of Commemoration of 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- State Governments will place the recommendations of the Committee before Governor for consideration and approval under Article 161 of the Constitution.
Special remission will be given to:
- Women and Transgender convicts: Of 55 years of age and above, who have completed 50 per cent of their actual sentence period.
- Male convicts: Of 60 years of age and above, who have completed 50 per cent of their actual sentence period.
- Physically challenged/disabled convicts: With 70 per cent disability and more, who have completed 50 per cent of their actual sentence period.
- Terminally ill convicts and convicted prisoners: Who have completed 2/3rd of their actual sentence period.
Special remission will not be given to:
- Prisoners who have been convicted for the death sentence.
- Cases involving in serious and heinous crimes like rape, human trafficking, dowry death and convicted under UAPA, POTA, TADA, FICN, POCSO, etc.