- The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) came into existence in 1987. It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India. TRIFED has its registered and Head Office located in New Delhi and has a network of 13 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
- TRIFED also organises National Tribal Craft Expo called “AADISHILP”, painting exhibition called “AadiChitra”, “OCTAVE” for North Eastern Artisans and Tribal Artisan Melas to facilitate the sale of their products.
The Govt. of India has approved a Road Map for TRIFED for the 11th five year plan period which envisage a financial assistance to TRIFED by way of Grants-in-aid under the Central Sector Scheme of “Marketing Development of tribal products/produce” for the following four main activities:-
(1) Retail Marketing Development Activity
(2) MFP Marketing Development Activity
(3) Vocation Training, Skill Upgradation and Capacity Building of ST Artisans and Minor Forest Produce (MFP) Gatherers
(4) Research & Development/Intellectual Property Right (IPR) Activity.